As a parent, you want your child to thrive both socially and academically. One way to help them do that is by introducing them to new words daily. Whether you’re just getting into the groove of things as a parent or are trying to revitalize your vocabulary skills, teaching kids new vocabulary is an important part of their overall development. Introducing your child to new words is also great for helping them succeed in school and beyond! This post will give you some great tips on how you can introduce your child to new vocabulary, improve their understanding of those words, and even have fun doing it!
1 -Make Vocabulary A Part Of Everyday Talk
While it’s important to teach your child new vocabulary words, it’s also important to make vocabulary a part of your everyday talk with your child. You can do this by being aware of the words you use and being careful to use the correct vocabulary with your child. You can also find ways to incorporate new vocabulary into your existing conversations with your child. For example, if you’re talking about your child’s day at school and they mention a new toy they played with, you can ask them what color it is. Or, if you’re talking about something you did during the day and you want to talk about something related to your child, you can ask what they learned during the day. These are just a couple of examples you can use to help make vocabulary a part of your everyday talk with your child.
2 -Play Games Together
Playing games with your child can make them more engaging and fun to do. You can use this as a way to play games that incorporate new vocabulary words. You can play games like Scrabble or Boggle. Or you can even create your own word games. As your child plays with you, you can talk about the new vocabulary words that appear in the game. This can be a fun way to help your child learn new vocabulary words and remember what they are. You can also use board games as a way to help your child learn new vocabulary words. For example, if your child is learning about animals, you can play a game like Scattergories or Catchphrase with animals used as the categories. This can be a great way to help your child learn new vocabulary words.
3- Read Children’s Books With New Words In Them
One of the best ways to introduce your child to new vocabulary is by reading children’s books with new vocabulary words in them. If you’re unsure where to start, you can turn to online lists or websites that compile lists of the best children’s books to read to your child. You can even use online bookstores to find books with new vocabulary words in them. When reading these books with your child, be sure to highlight or point out the new vocabulary words. This will help your child learn what those words mean and remember them. You can also take this a step further by using the vocabulary words in a story of your own. If your child is learning new vocabulary words, you can use those words in a story you make up. This can not only help your child learn the new vocabulary words, but it can also help them remember them as they learn them in context.
4- Teach New Vocabulary With Music
Music is an excellent way to introduce your child to new vocabulary words. You can find music with new vocabulary words in them via online music databases and websites. You can also search for music that uses those words in their lyrics. Not only does music make it easy to introduce your child to new vocabulary words, it can also make them more memorable. This is because music has a rhythm and beat to it that can make the words more catchy and memorable. When introducing your child to new vocabulary words with music, be sure to talk about what the words mean and why they’re used in the song. This will help your child learn those new vocabulary words and help them remember them. You can play music in the car when you’re driving with your child. Or, you can play music during a time when you’re doing something with your child, like during bath time..
5- Use Technology To Help Your Child Learn New Words
While you can use technology to help your child learn new vocabulary words, you should be careful not to over do it. If you use technology to introduce your child to new vocabulary words too much, they may not be able to remember what the words mean. But technology can be a fun way to help your child learn new vocabulary words. Here are some ways you can do that:
– Play language-learning games with your child such as Kloo, Scrabble, FluentU, Mindsnacks.
– Use apps to help your child learn new vocabulary words. There are lots of apps that can help your child learn new vocabulary words. Here is the three top apps on the list:
- Duolingo: The format of this app is gamified, and it offers virtual rewards and instant scoreboards to novices. Through a series of exercises, divided into lessons and skills, this app aims to teach vocabulary and grammar. Completing the objective is the same as achieving level 2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), which indicates that students have mastered the basics of English and are able to communicate simple, basic needs.
- Little Pim: Little Pim provides subscription-based online language learning through short videos with native speakers’ voices. Students can pursue 12 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, German, French, Hebrew, Russian, and others.
- Droplets: The Drops series of language apps for iOS and Android, including Droplets, is a visual learning language app for children. Drops employs professional voice actors who are native speakers of the language to ensure proper pronunciation. In addition, children can learn foreign alphabets as part of the Drops family. Drops is the kid version of Drops and can be accessed by children as part of their parent’s subscription. Multiple child accounts can be supported.
Learning new vocabulary words is a crucial part of child development. It’s also helpful for adults who want to learn new vocabulary words. One way to help your child learn new vocabulary words is by making vocabulary a part of your everyday talk with them. You can also play games with your child, read children’s books with new vocabulary words in them, and more. You can also use technology to help your child learn new vocabulary words. This can be helpful whether you’re a child or an adult learning new vocabulary. By introducing your child to new vocabulary words, they’ll be more likely to succeed in school and be able to communicate with others.